Progress report on UI overhaul

Lets jump right in to looking at what we did last week:

The bugs we mentioned last week that system-installer were having have been fixed. These bugs were a mount call not working because it was not receiving the necessary data, and users not being able to view the data they already put into system-installer.

The first bug turned out to be a typo where the variable containing all of a user’s settings was being misspelled when setting another variable which contains the root partition.

In many programming languages, something like this would throw an error because the variable had not been previously set. However, this is not the case in BASH shell scripts. Instead, BASH substitutes an empty string. Thankfully, this is caught very quickly because we have stricter restrictions on BASH executions set on that portion of the script, causing it to error out.

The other bug was just simply because we had not told the program to set an initial value in input boxes when a variable is already containing meaningful data. Once we fixed this it was working perfectly fine. It did cause a slight increase in file size, but no more than a kilobyte or so.

True to our word last week, we also have overhauled drauger-welcome. This was actually not nearly as hard as we were expecting, despite the back end of drauger-welcome honestly being a bit of a mess. And while it IS still a mess, it is less of a mess.

More importantly, the entire UI is now in one file, except for the error dialog which is in a separate file out of necessity.

We also got some extra work done on system-installer, completing our unit tests which help to ensure our scripts run correctly. We even implemented some of the suggestions that the tests were providing to us.

Furthermore, we are finally working on the built-in partitioning scripts again, trying to get them working correctly before we make a front-end UI for them. We started with the auto-partitioner because we can use gparted as a manual partitioner while we work on the built-in manual-partitioner. It’s very likely that even once these are completed that the option to use gparted instead of the built-in manual partitioner will remain for users who want something more reliable and feature rich to work with.

Unfortunately, this means some level of code expansion is in order. But it will be gradual so it won’t be like one day it’s relatively small and the next day it’s taking up the whole hard drive. Although it will very likely never get quite that big.

For the next week we will probably get some more work done on the built-in partitioner scripts, hopefully enough work to get them working correctly.

On a final note, there will be no blog post or podcast episode next week as we are moving over the weekend and will not have time to write a blog post or podcast script, let alone record a podcast with the move and getting settled in.

We look forward to what we have to share later this month with everyone!

Sincerely,

Thomas Castleman

Lead Dev, Founder

Find us on Social Media!

Mastodon

Twitter

Discord Server

Telegram Support Group

Telegram Dev Group

Telegram News Channel

RSS Feed

Podcast Homepage


Leave a Reply